Welcome to the Writing and Language Center
The CAPS Writing & Language Center supports all forms of written and spoken communication. At the Writing & Language Center, we believe in communication is a social process which can be improved through practice among peers. We strive to promote growth in the writer and language learner over time, and we emphasize writing and language learning as a process.
What we do
At the CAPS Writing & Language Center, we
- Welcome all undergraduate student writers and language learners at UNM.
- Foster a multicultural, multilingual space that is welcoming to all visitors.
- Offer support in a variety of formats to meet the needs of diverse learners.
- Strive to create a space for students to work and to find support through peer tutors and fellow writers and language learners.
- Promote learning by offering students strategies and tools.
Subjects we support
- Writing for all undergraduate coursework
How we work with you
- Come to the drop-in lab for a collaborative, social environment where you can bring your writing and language work at any stage of the process. Group work is encouraged, so you are welcome to come with your classmates.
- Students working on a piece of writing are encouraged to come in the early stages of the process (e.g., to generate ideas for a paper, organize content more effectively, etc.), and to continue to use the drop-in as a space to work through each stage of your writing process.
- Tutors can also assist with application writing (e.g., résumés, scholarship, study abroad, letters of intent, etc.).
- Language tutors can assist with all aspects of your language learning experience, from grammar and pronunciation to writing and conversation skills.
- CAPS offers weekly conversation groups for all languages, ideal for gaining practice in speaking a language.
- Tutors make conversation groups fun by incorporating activities, movies and games into the language learning process.
- UNM and non-UNM students at all learning levels are welcomed!